Today we are going to take a closer look at the gameplay. Conveniently, Colin was over at Beasts of War recently and played through a few games with Justin. In the video below you can watch part of their game, and they will be explaining each part of the rules as they go. By the end of the video you should have a good idea of how Core Space works.
Each round consists of five phases:
- Hostility Phase – the hostility rises and new events will occur.
- Trader Phase – players alternate making actions with their Traders.
- Purge Phase – the Purge will arrive and activate using the AI rules.
- NPC Phase – all other NPCs – Civilians, Galactic Corps etc will activate, also using the AI rules.
- Assessment Phase – resolve any ‘end of round’ effects and pass the Turn Counter over to the other player – they will go first in the next round.
These phases will be familiar to most veterans of miniatures games. Alternate activation is in fashion at the moment and Core Space makes good use of it. The difference comes from the resource management of health, skills, ammo and equipment (see the post on Character Dashboards) and of course dealing with the relentless AI actions of the Purge.
The other key feature of Core Space is the narrative – during the video you’ll see that Colin and Justin aren’t just moving pieces on a board, they are telling a story. In a way Core Space is like a more accessible RPG, with immersive visuals set out on the table in front of you.
The video goes into a lot of detail, showing everything the players do action by action. It’s a great way to learn the game.
Don’t forget, everything you see in the video comes in the box – you get a full table of terrain as well as the minis, plastic dashboards, and other game components.
For those who prefer reading rules, they are available for FREE on our website.
Core Space Unleashed!
As of this weekend, Core Space is no longer a pre-order and is officially released! The stock is in the warehouse and ready to ship. We are finishing up the KS dispatch and then we will move onto website pre-orders and retailers. You can pick it up HERE.
Keep up with the latest news by signing up to our newsletter HERE.